College specialising in digital design and media located on the south-eastern edge of the O2 building at Greenwich peninsula
Inspired by Gothic rose windows and flower patterns the façade of the building uses a non-periodic tiling system in which seven types of windows have been created from three different tiles.
The building is structured around a system of two interconnected atria with each piercing through three levels of program. The atria are attached to the external façade where they are used as ventilation devices as well as to connect the core of the spaces inside the building with its urban surroundings.
To achieve good environmental performance, low maintenance and high flexibility the massing is kept as compact as possible. The deep building is able to provide space for the various activities that take place within.
The building has received a rating of BREEAM excellent.
- Begun: Sep 2008
- Completed: Jun 2010
- Floor area: 14,649m2
- Sector: Education
- Total cost: £70M
- Address: 6 Penrose Way, Greenwich Peninsula, London, SE10 0EW, United Kingdom
- Architect: Foreign Office Architects
- Client: Ravensbourne, Greenwich Peninsula Regeneration Limited
- Structural engineer: Adams Kara Taylor
- Services engineer: Scott Wilson
- Quantity surveyor: Gardiner & Theobald
- Planning supervisor: Savills
- Main contractor: Bovis Lend Lease
- Fire consultant: Jeremy Gardiner Associates
- Acoustic consultant: RBA Acoustics
- CDM coordinator: Lend Lease Projects
- Facade consultant: Buro Happold