Clapham Manor Primary School
Polychromatic extension to a Victorian primary school inserted into a tight urban context, providing learning spaces and an organisational hub
The extension comprises of classrooms, a performance space, head teacher’s office, conference room and staff room.
The extension works as a free-standing block which connects to the Victorian building, but has been rotated from the existing block to lie in parallel with an adjacent Grade II-listed hall.
The in-between space established between the two buildings is used as a new entrance with a triple height transparent atrium. Stairs, lift and voids are used to reconcile the four storey contemporary extension with the original three-storey Victorian school.
The classrooms are wrapped in a pixellated loop of glass. The colour spectrum and glazing ‘brick bond’ pattern plays with the scale and materiality of the context.
- Completed: Jul 2009
- Floor area: 927m2
- Sector: Education
- Total cost: £2.6M
- Procurement: JCT05 SBC/Q (traditional contract with quantities)
- Address: Belmont Road, Clapham, London, SW4 0BZ, United Kingdom
- Architect: dRMM
- Client: London Borough of Lambeth
- Project manager: Sprunt
- Cost consultant: Appleyard & Trew
- Structural engineer: Michael Hadi Associates
- Services engineer: Fulcrum Consulting
- CDM coordinator: Appleyard & Trew
- Acoustic consultant: Fleming & Barron
- Main contractor: The Construction Partnership