Oriel Mostyn Gallery
Refurbishment of a listed Victorian gallery building with the addition of four new galleries, a cafe, shop and education spaces around a concrete circulation core
Designed in 1900 by the architect G. A. Humphreys, the original Mostyn Gallery closed in 1913 with the onset of war, when it was requisitioned for use as a drill hall. Subsequently, it housed the offices of the Inland Revenue.
The Mostyn Gallery in its present form was formed in 1978 and re-housed in its original home. In 2003, the gallery began to acquire additional space in neighbouring buildings and a full scale refurbishment commenced in 2007.
Ellis Williams Architects restored the façade, canopy and original exhibition galleries, clearing away the gallery’s various accretions. In addition, the architects have provided new gallery spaces and facilities including a café. Internal additions include a board imprinted in-situ concrete circulation lightwell which brings natural daylight to the gallery’s formerly dark rear spaces.
- Begun: Jul 2007
- Completed: May 2010
- Floor area: 2,000m2
- Sector: Arts and culture
- Total cost: £5.1M
- Procurement: Demolition – JCT Minor Works 2005; main works – JCT 2005 with quantities
- CO2 Emissions: 45.32kg/m2/year
- Address: 12 Vaughan Street, Llandudno, LL30 1AB, United Kingdom