Leighton House Museum
Conservation and refurbishment of the Grade II* listed building located on the edge of Holland Park
The Grade II* listed building was constructed between 1865 and 1896 as the home and studio of painter Frederic, Lord Leighton, it houses the artist’s oil paintings along with other works of art.
The building’s refurbishment includes the restoration of original brick ziggurat parapets and the improvement of the internal environment. The old electrical cabling and heating systems were replaced.
External repairs were made to secure the walls, roof and windows. Inside, the rooms were conserved to reinstate the house’s original decorations, furnishings and lighting.
The house features an Arab Hall designed to exhibit the artist’s collection of Islamic Syrian tiles and is inlaid with Egyptian woodwork.
Leighton’s painting studio is located on the first floor, with a north facing window, dome and apse.
- Begun: Apr 2008
- Completed: Apr 2010
- Floor area: 675m2
- Sector: Arts and culture
- Total cost: £1.6M
- Address: 12 Holland Park Road, London, W14 8LZ, United Kingdom
- Architect: Purcell
- Project architects: Dante Vanoli, Joanne Hatwell
- Client: The Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
- Structural engineer: The Morton Partnership
- Services engineer: Harley Haddow
- Quantity surveyor: Sawyer & Fisher
- Planning supervisor: Cris Van Wheelen Associates
- Main contractor: Coniston Construction
- Lighting consultant: Sutton Vane Associates
- Historic paint consultant: Jane Davies
- Wallpaper designer: Linda Robinson
- Fire protection: Fire Care 999