Kirk Balk Community College
Triangler BSF school on a hill top site arranged around a central artium
The main triangular block, which is orientated to take advantage of the views from the hill top site, has a Staffordshire blue brick plinth with gold coloured cladding above. At the prow of the building raking columns support triangular terraces, and the roof projects and provides shelter.
Internally four learning zones, each with a social space at its heart and individual external spaces, are arranged around a large top-lit atrium in the triangular element of the school. Walkways with small break out spaces wrap around the void and scissor staircases, that provide access to the science block, add movement to the space.
A covered link connects the main building with the sports facilities in a separate rectangular block. The main double height spaces are at either end of the building with high level structural glazing to the Sports Hall and full height glazed curtain walling to the Main Hall. Access to sports pitches, MUGA and orienteering will also be easily accessible to the community out of normal hours.
The new school provides education for 1200 pupils, aged 11 to 16, and for 124 post-16 pupils.
- Begun: Aug 2008
- Completed: Apr 2011
- Floor area: 11,877m2
- Sector: Education
- Total cost: £18.4M
- Procurement: NEC Professional Services contract
- Address: Kirk Balk, Barnsley, S74 9HX, United Kingdom
- Architect: Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
- Client: Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Structural engineer: Buro Happold
- M&E consultant: Crown House Technologies
- Services engineer: BDP
- Quantity surveyor: Turner Townsend
- Quantity surveyor: Laing O’Rourke
- Landscape architect: Anthony Walker Partnership
- ICT consultant: Civica UK Limited
- Acoustic consultant: Sound Research Laboratories
- Catering consultant: Design Catering Equipment
- Fire consultant: Tenos
- Environmental Designer: Morag Myerscough
- Environmental Designer: Studio Myerscough
- Planning consultant: Turley Associates
- CDM coordinator: Cyril Sweett
- Approved building inspector : HCD
- Main contractor: Laing O’Rourke