Alex de Rijke Download Original
Three storey wedding chapel positioned on Blackpoolâ€™s seafront between the illuminations and the sea
Standing on a stepped concrete plinth containing recycled and phosphorescent glass, the ground floor of the engineered timber building is brick clad and topped with a two-storey lookout point clad in golden stainless steel shingles.
A tourist information office and large restaurant occupy the ground floor with an external terrace fronting the sea, registry offices on the first floor and an open plan ceremony hall above on the second. Vertical circulation is provided through a single staircase, in the corner of the floor plan, as well as single passenger lift.
The sculptural wedding tower, that cantilevers above the tourist facilies below, frames vertical views of Blackpool Tower as well as horizontal views across the Irish Sea.
- Begun: Jul 2010
- Completed: Nov 2011
- Floor area: 580m2
- Sector: Civic
- Procurement: PPC 2000
- CO2 Emissions: 29.21kg/m2/year
- Address: Promenade, Blackpool, FY1 1AP, United Kingdom
- Architect: dRMM
- Client: Blackpool Council
- Structural engineer: Michael Hadi Associates
- M&E consultant: Michael Popper Associates
- Lead consultant: LDA Design
- Main contractor: Parkinson Building Contractors
- Cost consultant: Gardiner & Theobald
- BREEAM consultant: Alan Pither Ltd
- Fire consultant: Jeremy Gardner Associates
- Landscape architect: LDA Design