Edgbaston Cricket Stadium
Mixed-use 8,100 capacity main stand complex, situated on the site of four previous stands, that contains, state of the art playing facilities, media, hospitality and exhibition space
The centre piece of the design is a conference and banqueting suite which caters for up to for 700 guests. This room is expressed as a sculptural form clad in striking blue panels and juxtaposed windows.
On the street frontage this element forms an extended canopy to the main double height entrance with a visitor & learning centre on the first floor.
The main stand contains four levels of seating and spectator facilities centred about the main test wicket and topped with a central media viewing facility for over 200 TV, radio and written journalists.
The highest level of seating is a skyline terrace below this are two levels of hospitality suites with boxes and the luxury Jaguar and 1882 Club suites. There is a separate two tier seating bank to the west of the main stand for general admission spectators. In the base of this is a large concourse designed to double up as an exhibition hall linked to the large banqueting rooms above.
The new facilities take the extended ground capacity to 25,000 spectators for domestic and international cricket.
- Begun: Apr 2010
- Completed: Jul 2011
- Floor area: 14,815m2
- Sector: Sports and leisure
- Total cost: £25M
- Procurement: Design & Build
- Address: Warwickshire County Cricket Club, The County Ground, Edgbaston, B5 7QU, United Kingdom
- Architect: AFL Architects
- Client: Warwickshire County Cricket Club
- Structural engineer: Mott MacDonald
- Services engineer: Mott MacDonald
- Quantity surveyor: RLB
- CDM coordinator: Walker Cotter Safety
- Main contractor: Galliford Try Construction
- Planning consultant: Turley Associates
- Catering consultant: Tricon
- Acoustic consultant: Sandy Brown Associates