Timber framed and clad school organised in four blocks around a central outdoor court
The four separate buildings frame the heart of the school, which is treated as a village green.
Three of the blocks are specialist classroom buildings – which are almost identical in massing and differentiated by subtly coloured renders representing the four seasons. The fourth block is an entrance building, which houses the large, shared, communal spaces such as the assembly and dining halls.
Cellular classrooms are minimised in the school with open learning areas, made posisble by the long-span glulam structure, organised around central fora, which can accommodate up to 250 students.
A palette of softwood cladding and coloured render wraps all four buildings.
- Begun: Apr 2009
- Completed: Sep 2011
- Floor area: 12,925m2
- Sector: Education
- Total cost: £24M
- Procurement: Design and build
- Address: Denmark Ave, Woodley, Reading, Berkshire, RG5 4RF, United Kingdom
- Architect: Sheppard Robson
- Client: Wokingham Borough Council
- Structural engineer: Carbon Eng
- Structural engineer: Ramboll
- Landscape architect: EDCO Design
- Acoustic consultant: SC Acoustic
- Project manager: Faithful + Gould
- Approved building inspector : HCD
- Main contractor: Willmott Dixon
- M&E consultant: Skelly & Couch
- Structural timber: Eurban Construction
- Insulation to external timber clad wall: Pavatex Pavatherm
- Glulam: Schilliger Holz
- Crosslam: Schilliger Holz
- External timber cladding: Finnforest ThermoWood
- Wood fibre insulation: Pavatex Pavatherm
- Timber Cladding: NHE
- Insulated render: Permarock
- Single ply roofing: Sarnafil
- Clean Extreme Scrubbable matt: Crown Paints