If you’ve activated your online subscription to the AJ or you already have an account for the AJ Buildings Library, sign in below.
By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy
The AJ Buildings Library is available as a subscription benefit to AJ subscribers. If you’ve activated your online subscription on TheAJ.co.uk, you can use the same credentials to sign in on AJBL.
If you have not activated your subscription on the AJ website you will need to do so to access the AJ Buildings Library.
Not an Architects' Journal subscriber?
Choose one of these options:
Find out more about all the benefits of a subscription to The Architects' Journal.
For all queries regarding access to AJ online, please email our Online Help Desk at customerservices@ArchitectsJournal.co.uk
UOP fragrances factory
- Completed: 1978
- Floor area: 1,580m2
- Sector: Industrial
- Address: Tadworth, Surrey, Tadworth, United Kingdom
- Architect: Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, Renzo Piano Building Workshop
- Project architects: Eric Holt, John Young, Marco Goldschmied, Neil Winder, Niki van Oosten, Peter Flack, Peter Ullathorne, Rita Bormioli, Sally Appleby
- Client: UOP Fragrances
- Main contractor: James Longley
- Public health engineering: Cressey Wilder Associates
- Structural engineer: Anthony Hunt Associates
- Quantity surveyor: Monk & Dunstone Associates
Purpose-built fragrances factory including administration, laboratory, manufacture and storage, built using designed GRC elements
Occupying a key site on a trading estate the building accommodates administration, laboratory, compounding and stores in a predominantly residential area. Speed of construction, a high resale value and minimum capital and maintenance cost as well as a pleasant working environment were key factors.
A single storey, general purpose, optimum performance building capable of growth and change. Steel structure achieves uninterrupted floor space, facilitates internal planning and future expansion. Prefabricated structure, decking and cladding allow for a fast build.
External views allowing natural daylighting and supplemented by artificial lighting.