Cancer care centre in the grounds of Nottingham City Hospital
The Centre, a ceramic tile-clad green oval ‘treehouse’, perches on a sloping site among mature trees beside the BDP-designed breast centre and adjacent to one of the entrances to the hospital campus.
This awkward site was chosen as it was unlikely to be useful in any future hospital expansion plans, while also offering a strong presence on the street.
Behind the playful, Postmodern exterior is a perfectly square plan, with public spaces below and private, bedroom-like spaces above.
Counselling rooms, the IT workstations and a yoga studio are upstairs. Internal decoration and furniture is by Nottingham-born designer Paul Smith.
The lower (ground) floor acts as a store for summer furniture and contains an insulated tank for rainwater harvesting, an air-source heat pump and fans which allow the basement to be used as the plenum.
- Begun: Nov 2010
- Completed: Oct 2011
- Floor area: 4,027m2
- Sector: Healthcare
- Total cost: £1.5M
- Address: Hucknall Road, Nottingham, NG5 1PB, United Kingdom
- Architect: CZWG Architects
- Client: Maggie's Centre
- Interior design: Paul Smith
- Structural engineer: AKTII
- M&E consultant: KJ Tait
- Quantity surveyor: Turner & Townsend
- Landscape architect: Envert Studio
- Main contractor: Bowmer and Kirkland Building Services
- CDM coordinator: PFB Construction Management Services
- Approved building inspector : MLM Building Control