The Lexicon

Carr Cotter Naessens Architects, County Dublin, 2014

 

Subscribe now to instantly view this image

Subscribe to the Architects’ Journal (AJ) for instant access to the AJ Buildings Library, an online database of nearly 2,000 exemplar buildings in photographs, plans, elevations and details.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

 

Dennis Gilbert (website)     Download Original

  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  •     
  • Location plan    
  • Level 1 plan    
  • Level 3 plan    
  • Level 4 plan    
  • Level 5 plan    
  • Section A-A    
  • Section B-B    
  • Section C-C    
  • Section D-D    
  • Section E-E    

Waterside library and park in the coastal town of Dún Laoghaire near Dublin

The building replaces the Carnegie Library built in 1812 by Lucius O’Callaghan and James Henry Webb.

Internally the plan is split in two by a series of piers containing services, including extracts which emerge on the inclined roof as a series of stepping cowls. The public spaces on the other side of these piers are more orthogonal and sober.

The division in the plan is echoed in the outside of the building. Brick is used to the south in an elevation that approximates the scale and pattern of the adjacent neo-Georgian terraces. In contrast, the other, more public, side presents a series of angular, planar geometries wrought in creamy stone panels.

Data

  • Begun: May 2012
  • Completed: Sep 2014
  • Floor area: 6,327m2
  • Sector: Arts and culture
  • Total cost: £27.5M
  • Address: The Lexicon, Dún Laoghaire, County Dublin, Ireland

Materials

Brick cladding

Professional Team