If you’ve activated your online subscription to the AJ or you already have an account for the AJ Buildings Library, sign in below.
By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy
The AJ Buildings Library is available as a subscription benefit to AJ subscribers. If you’ve activated your online subscription on TheAJ.co.uk, you can use the same credentials to sign in on AJBL.
If you have not activated your subscription on the AJ website you will need to do so to access the AJ Buildings Library.
Not an Architects' Journal subscriber?
Choose one of these options:
Find out more about all the benefits of a subscription to The Architects' Journal.
For all queries regarding access to AJ online, please email our Online Help Desk at customerservices@ArchitectsJournal.co.uk
- Begun: Mar 2011
- Completed: Sep 2011
- Sector: Arts and culture
- Total cost: £4.1M
- Procurement: JCT
- Address: Theatre Royal, 100 Grey Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 6BR, United Kingdom
- Architect: Sansome Hall Architects
- Client: Newcastle City Council, Theatre Royal
- Theatre consultant: Theatresearch
- Cost consultant: F K Howard
- Theatre consultant: Charcoalblue
- Services engineer: Max Fordham
- Structural engineer: Cundall
- Planning supervisor: Atkins
- Acoustic consultant: Max Fordham
- Main contractor: Surgo Construction
Restoration of the Newcastle's grade I listed, Frank Matcham designed, theatre
Along with the restoration and refurbishment of the auditorium, better access, improved comfort and more appropriate technical solutions for the theatre engineering have been introduced.
Previous interventions have been stripped out to restore the theatre, wherever appropriate, to Matcham's original design. The original seating rake has been recreated to Matcham's design with the return to his tiering at gallery level and the re-introduction of the amphitheatre in place of a lighting trench.