Extension and refurbishment of a ruined 1837 Grade II Listed brick theatre
The renovation provides a new atrium roof, main entrance and refreshment facilities using the original structure, strengthened to accommodate greater loads.
The new roof is watertight and largely glazed, while the foyer has underfloor heating. Off the foyer are new toilets and a small scenery workshop/store.
Backstage accommodation has been extended, as well as the building of a completely new foyer, bar and technical areas. New services installations and seating have been created, complete with improved disabled access and acoustics.
A cafe/bar and main entrance have been created on the street in an abstract composition of planes of rendered insulation, zinc and glass. Endstops to the new work echo the massiveness of the square columns of the institute, while their horizontal joints, in slightly undulating pre-weathered zinc sheeting, read with the new long, low lines.
The cafe/bar has one large window on the street whose glazing and mesh security screens can be retracted completely on tracks. The main entrance screen also retracts completely to allow in vehicles.
- Begun: Oct 2001
- Completed: Dec 2002
- Floor area: 1,120m2
- Sector: Arts and culture
- Total cost: £3.5M
- Funding: Private and Lottery Funding
- Tender date: Aug 2001
- Procurement: JCT Standard Form; Private with Quantities (1998)
- Address: 1 Almeida Street, London, N1 1TA, United Kingdom
- Architect: Burrell Foley Fischer Architects
- Project architect: Anna Joynt
- Client: The Almeida Theatre Company
- Main contractor: Banner Holdings
- Acoustic consultant: Arup Acoustics
- Access consultant: Lisa Foster, Jane Toplis Associates
- Planning supervisor: JGP Associates
- Services engineer: Max Fordham
- M&E engineer: Max Fordham
- Quantity surveyor: Roger Rawlinson Associates
- Structural engineer: Conisbee
- Theatre consultant: Theatreplan