St Ann's Court
Reinforced concrete drum-shaped house on the crest of a hill in twenty-five acres of old parkland, laid out in the eighteenth century in the north of Surrey
The house is round, sliced out like a cheese on the southern side. The circular floor plan focuses on the main space on each level.
The main entrance hall is reached by a flight of four steps from the higher level of the forecourt. On the ground floor dining, kitchen and study spaces centre around an expansive living room.
On the first floor small bedrooms and the maids quarter are spaced around the main bedroom. The top floor is a roof terrace with a large billiard room and study.
The structure of the house, winter garden and pool is in reinforced concrete. The shell of the house consists of three ring beams at each floor level with ten-inch columns spaced at regular intervals. The floor slabs are continuous. The concrete exterior is painted with silicate paint, whilst the reinforced concrete roofs are insulated with cock and asphalted with a further insulating finish of crushed spar.
- Completed: 1937
- Sector: House
- Address: Hill House, St. Ann's Hill Road, Chertsey, KT16 9NW, United Kingdom