St. Andrews House

Sir John Burnet, Tait and Lorne, Edinburgh, 1939

 

Subscribe now to instantly view this image

Subscribe to the Architects’ Journal (AJ) for instant access to the AJ Buildings Library, an online database of nearly 2,000 exemplar buildings in photographs, plans, elevations and details.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

The site was once occupied by the Edinburgh gaol and parts of the stone walls still remain. There form a boundary on the south side where the building rises from the steep rocky slope of the hill 

Architectural Review     Download Original

  • The site was once occupied by the Edinburgh gaol and parts of the stone walls still remain. There form a boundary on the south side where the building rises from the steep rocky slope of the hill    
  • The south-east corner showing the ramp leading to the courtyard    
  • Parts of the old gaol buildings have been incorporated in the design. The tower can be seen with the old outer walls in the right foreground    
  • The main entrance hall    
  • The conference room panelled with Indian silver greywood with bands of Indian laurel    
  • The Secretary of State    
  • The staff restaurant on the sixth floor    
  • Ground floor plan    
  • First floor plan    
  • Third floor plan    
  • Cross section along main axis    

Government building on hillside site in Edinburgh housing offices and administrative space

Constructed on the steep southern flank of Edinburgh’s Calton Hill, St. Andrew’s House accommodates government offices and administration facilities and commands sweeping views of the city.

The primary structure consists of concrete piers extending down to solid rock. Between these piers sits a structural frame of steel with retaining walls built in reinforced concrete and faced with Darney stone. The floors and flat roof are also in reinforced concrete and hollow tile construction with cork insulation.

Fine materials line the entrance hall which boasts Travertine paving and Perrycot marble wall cladding.

Fully refurbished in 2001 this Category 'A' Listed building remains an important component in the Scottish Government’s estate.

Data

  • Begun: Apr 1937
  • Completed: Sep 1939
  • Sector: Civic
  • Total cost: £433,200
  • Address: St. Andrew's House, Regent Road, Calton Hill, Edinburgh, EH1 3DG, United Kingdom

Professional Team

AJBL Sponsor

Armstrong World Industries

A global leader in providing customised, multi material ceiling and wall solutions

Find out more