Second Church of Christ Scientist

Sir John Burnet & Partners, London, 1926

 

Subscribe now to instantly view this image

Subscribe to the Architects’ Journal (AJ) for instant access to the AJ Buildings Library, an online database of nearly 2,000 exemplar buildings in photographs, plans, elevations and details.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

The church viewed from Palace Gardens Terrace 

The Architectural Review     Download Original

  • The church viewed from Palace Gardens Terrace    
  • The church viewed from the south    
  • The entrance to the assembly hall    
  • The entrance to the Sunday school    
  • The great window of the church    
  • The Sunday school facade    
  • The Sunday school main entrance    
  • The Sunday school viewed from the garden    
  • View of the assembly hall    
  • The east gallery    
  • A corner of the assembly hall    
  • The rostrum    
  • The organ screen and rostrum    
  • Entrance to the assembly hall    
  • The board room    
  • The drinking fountain in the hall    
  • Ground floor plan    
  • First floor plan    
  • Front elevation    

A church to accommodate a congregation of 1,000 alongside social and administrative areas, plus a dedicated sunday school with twelve classrooms

The plan is unusually shaped, yet simultaneously logical and simple, following from the clients' wish to give all members of the congregation a view of the speakers and each other.

Brick is the predominant material, and is graded in colour from purple at the base to brown at the eaves. Voussoirs are not used, and tiles are inserted where wide joints occur. The foundation stone, displayed under the main window, is a solid block of granite brought from New Hampshire, USA.

The brick impression is relieved by Portland stone, used in copings and in arches to defining windows and doors. Tiles are used on the roof and patterned decoratively.

The windows are formed with iron, and broad lead cames form a pattern. Antique amber glass is used for glazing, appropriately to the church's overall colour scheme of warm tones.

The interior woodwork is all light oak. The walls and ceilings are plaster, stucco finished, and left rough and uncoloured.

Outside the church lies a garden and beyond that, a Sunday school and the other facilities comprise an eastern wing. The brickwork design is carried on in these other buildings, and the garden also contains red brick paths and stone borders.

Data

  • Completed: 1926
  • Floor area: 7,498m2
  • Sector: Religious
  • Address: The Second Church of Christ Scientist, 104 Palace Gardens Terrace, London, W8 4RT, United Kingdom

AJBL Sponsor

Thrislington Cubicles

Builders of the worlds best toilet cubicles, vanity units, lockers and panels at our factory in the United Kingdom since the 1960s

Find out more