National Gallery Extension

H. N. Hawks, London, 1911


Subscribe now to instantly view this image

Subscribe to the Architects’ Journal (AJ) for instant access to the AJ Buildings Library, an online database of nearly 2,000 exemplar buildings in photographs, plans, elevations and details.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

View of the new west gallery 

The Architectural Review     Download Original

  • View of the new west gallery    
  • Doorway in west gallery, the stones measure over three meters    
  • Detail of domed ceiling over the centre gallery    
  • Sketch plan of the National Gallery showing new rooms    
  • Gallery plan    
  • Section A-B    
  • Section C-D    
  • Section E-F    
  • Detail of northern galleries    

Gallery extension to update the 1830s building to new fire resistant standards, accommodate newly collected art, and better house existing paintings

The extension was situated in a portion of St George's Barracks Yard. New storerooms were added to the basement, three rooms to the ground floor, and five rooms to the first floor.

The exterior follows the style of the gallery's eastern side, as the brief required it to fit harmoniously with the existing architecture. The west elevation uses the same Portland stone.

The lighting arrangements were improved by using top lights, reinforced with concrete ribs. The materials (steel glazed with wired glass) were chosen for their fire resistancy.

The ornamental designs were intended to be unobtrusive, so detail is gathered in the ceilings and cornices. To both, modelled fibrous plaster work is added.

The door openings are central features of the interior design, and are enlarged by over-sized architraves. They are also fire resistant. The floors are polished oak, and defined by margins of black marble.


  • Begun: 1909
  • Completed: Mar 1911
  • Floor area: 8,047m2
  • Sector: Arts and culture
  • Address: The National Gallery, Trafalgar Square, London, WC2N 5DN, United Kingdom

Professional Team


AJBL Sponsor

Mumford & Wood

Specialist manufacturer of bespoke timber windows, doors and roof lanterns in period and contemporary designs

Find out more