Richmond Riverside

Quinlan Terry, London, 1987

 

Subscribe now to instantly view this image

Subscribe to the Architects’ Journal (AJ) for instant access to the AJ Buildings Library, an online database of nearly 2,000 exemplar buildings in photographs, plans, elevations and details.

Already a subscriber? Sign in

The junction between Bridge Street and Hill Street. Thie Italianate tower, left, built in 1856, is offset by a new Venetian Gothic facade 

Charlotte Wood     Download Original

  • The junction between Bridge Street and Hill Street. Thie Italianate tower, left, built in 1856, is offset by a new Venetian Gothic facade    
  • One of the Hill Street facades; tapering window architraves and Paestum inspired Grecian Doric colonnade    
  • Richmond Riverside development from Richmond Bridge. The buildings on the left half are new, those on the right refurbished    
  • Castle Square. Here rustic Gothic mixes with formally disposed Classic    
  • Town square; the heart of Quinlan Terry    
  • The arch linking Whittaker Sqaure to Town Square. The first floor venetian window and the eared architrave to the window aove it reveal Terry    
  • Typical upper level office interior    
  • Typical upper level office interior    
  • Site plan    
  • Lower ground level showing parking arrangements    
  • Ground level plan. Palm Court, Tower House and Heron House were existing buildings, as was the Victorian Town Hall    
  • First and Ground floor plans of Hotham House, the building left of Town Square on the site plan. The spaces are not in the least Classical    
  • Riverside before the intervention of Terry    

Development of offices, flats, shops, restaurants, community facilities and gardens, recreated in Georgian architectural style

Two listed buildings have been retained and re-fronted as part of the project but the rest of the development is new.

The development exhibits some of the rich variations of English 18th-century architecture, using red and yellow bricks, pantiles, plain tiles, slate and lead, sash and casement windows, and all the five Orders. All the office buildings are designed in accordance with the Georgian requirement of there being 20 feet from the window to the spine wall, so that it can function satisfactorily without air-conditioning or excessive artificial light.

Many of the buildings pick up the characteristic details of English and Italian architects, in particular Palladio, Longhena, Sansovino, Hawksmoor, William Chambers and the Gothic revival of the 19th century.

Data

  • Begun: 1984
  • Completed: 1987
  • Floor area: 27,000m2
  • Sectors: Residential, Retail, Office
  • Total cost: £20M
  • Address: Richmond Riverside, Richmond, London, TW9 1EJ, United Kingdom

Professional Team

AJBL Sponsor

Armstrong World Industries

A global leader in providing customised, multi material ceiling and wall solutions

Find out more