Ditchling Museum of Art
Brotherton-Lock Download Original
Expansion of the museum that contains works by artists and craftsmen who came to live and work in Ditchling in the first half of the 20th century
The museum in a a former village school has been revamped with a new build structure carefully sandwiched between existing structures.
Internally the museum's orientation has been reversed with the former lodge, which contains a restored former 18th century cart, turned into an entrance, café and shop. This lodge is connected to the galleries by a terracotta clad link building with stairs up to the and a short lift unit, partly concealed behind a raised and deliberately ‘presented’ slab of engineered wood.
The zinc clad introductory gallery is filled with light because of the full-height glazed central section of the west-facing gable-end. The single, large display case has the same truncated gable-end section as the Guild’s tiny 1921 church on Ditchling Common.
From here the restored original galleries can be accessed.
- Begun: Apr 2012
- Completed: Mar 2013
- Floor area: 580m2
- Sector: Arts and culture
- Total cost: £1.1M
- Procurement: JCT Standard Building Contract with Quantities
- Address: Lodge Hill Lane, Ditchling, East Sussex, BN6 8SP, United Kingdom
- Architect: Adam Richards Architects
- Client: Ditchling Museum of Art + Craft
- Main contractor: Westridge Construction
- Quantity surveyor: Synergy Construction & Property Consultants
- Structural engineer: Price & Myers
- Services engineer: Bailey Gomm
- Lighting design: LightPlan
- Approved Inspector: Head Projects