City of Coventry Health Centre
David Butler Download Original
Health centre comprising GP practices, a walk-in clinic, podiatry and physiotherapy, plus child, family and sexual health services in Coventry
An internal street with double-height, sky-lit atria channels visitors through the building and improves orientation by displaying first-floor GP accommodation.
Oscillating floor plates, with slab edges stepping in and out from one floor to another, provides adaptability and enables departments to expand and contract, while offering spacious waiting areas alongside other, more intimate ones.
Colours are used to identify floors and department entry points with specified charcoal-coloured ceramic tiles, white walls and walnut doors as a subtle backdrop to chromatic highlights.
The building achieved a BREEAM Healthcare ‘Excellent’ rating by using an environmental strategy based on good co-ordination and passive low-energy design, with summer passive purge ventilation.
- Begun: Mar 2010
- Completed: Jan 2012
- Floor area: 10,000m2
- Sector: Healthcare
- Total cost: £22.5M
- Procurement: Local Improvement Finance Trust
- Address: City of Coventry Health Centre, 2 Stoney Stanton Road, Coventry, CV1 4FS, United Kingdom
- Architect: Sonnemann Toon Architects
- Client: NHS Coventry
- Structural engineer: Mark Brock Consulting Engineers
- M&E consultant: Couch Perry & Wilkes
- Quantity surveyor: Holbrow Brookes
- Facilities manager: Integral
- Breeam assessor: 3 Planets
- Colour consultant: Frances Tobin Design
- Project manager: Coventry Care Partnership
- CDM coordinator: Thomasons
- Approved building inspector : HCD Building Control
- Main contractor: Galliford Try Construction