Holiday house within rolling dunes on the Suffolk coast for rental as part of the Living Architecture scheme
The house, which replaces an existing building on the site, has a faceted timber first-storey placed above a fully glazed ground floor level.
The open-plan ground floor is entirely surrounded by clear glass with sliding doors placed at the corners of the house that allow access to outdoor terraces which are set into the dunes to protect from the wind.
The upper floor, which is constructed from solid wood, contains four triangular shaped bedrooms, each with an ensuite bathroom arranged around a library. The facades of the first floor are clad with stained dark timber to relate to the existing gables and sheds found in the area, which contrast with the metal panels of the roof.
- Completed: Dec 2010
- Floor area: 220m2
- Sector: House
- Address: Thorpe Road, Thorpeness, Suffolk, IP16 4NR, United Kingdom
- Architect: Mole Architects
- Project architects: Alessandra Kosberg, Anders Granli, Einar Jarmund, Håkon Vigsnæs
- Client: Living Architecture
- Structural engineer: Jane Wernick Associates
- Quantity surveyor: Boydens Group
- M&E engineer: Norfolk Heating and Plumbing
- Landscape architect: Nascentia Landscapes
- Main contractor: Willow Builders
- Clerk of Works: Techs Project Management