Terminal 2 Concourse B: Phase 1, Heathrow Airport
Satellite pier for Terminal 2 at Heathrow to serve 16 long-haul stands for Star Alliance carriers
Stage one (completed in November 2009) is formed of the first six stands, while the final stage and remaining 10 stands will be completed in October 2013.
Open gate lounge departure facilities are positioned on the first floor with all all plant and staff accommodation at ground level to simplify the building fabric and minimise the load on structural steel while enabling easier access for maintenance.
The separation between departing and arriving passengers is managed via an enclosed arrivals corridor. A central, naturally lit hub space enables vertical circulation to and from the passenger tunnel and transit system. The central area also houses retail units, passenger transfer services, baggage facilities and executive lounge accommodation.
Extensive large-panel modular prefabrication and self-finished building systems were used to ensure a quick construction time. These can be seen in the 3m x 7.5m unitised facade panels, 2.4m x 9m pre-finished roof panels, modular flooring system, wall linings and ceiling panels.
- Begun: Jan 2008
- Completed: Nov 2009
- Floor area: 14,753m2
- Sector: Transport
- Total cost: £98M
- Address: Hillingdon, London, TW6 1AP, United Kingdom
- Architect: Grimshaw Architects
- Client: BAA
- Structural engineer: Buro Happold
- Structural engineer: Ramboll
- M&E consultant: DSSR
- M&E consultant: Hoare Lea
- Quantity surveyor: Turner & Townsend
- Quantity surveyor: Balfour Beatty
- Fire engineer: Exova
- Lighting design: Hoare Lea
- Acoustic engineer: Hoare Lea
- Project manager: Balfour Beatty
- CDM coordinator: EC Harris
- Approved building inspector : BAA Building Control Services
- Main contractor: Balfour Beatty