Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
Nick Guttridge Download Original
Three performance and rehearsal spaces, teaching rooms, studios and library facilities and is set in a Grade I listed Royal Park
Each of the three performance spaces is designed as a separate building. The drama building forms a new façade and the recital hall sits among the woods adjacent to the existing building. These elements are unified by a single floating roof.
The new entrance to the college opens out on to stunning views over Bute Park and an arcade forms a new spine linking the whole functioning as exhibition space for the Design & Costume Department, while doubling as the ‘lungs’ for the scheme as its natural stack effect ventilates the public spaces.
The building incorporaties a green roof, natural ventilation and ground source heating and cooling.
- Begun: Oct 2009
- Completed: Jul 2011
- Floor area: 4,400m2
- Sector: Education
- Total cost: £14.5M
- Procurement: Develop and Construct
- Address: Royal Welsh College of Music & Drama Castle Grounds, Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3ER, United Kingdom
- Architect: BFLS
- Client: Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
- Structural engineer: Mott MacDonald
- Mechanical engineer: Mott MacDonald
- Civil engineer: Mott MacDonald
- Acoustics: Arup Acoustics
- Cost consultant: Davis Langdon
- Main contractor: Willmott Dixon
- Theatre consultant: Theatre Project Consultants
- Lighting consultant: GIA Equation
- Specification consultant: Schumann Smith