McLaren Production Centre
Foster + Partners Download Original
Production centre to house the assembly of all future McLaren road cars
The centre is located to the south-west of Mclaren's corporate headquarters, designed by the same architect, and connected to the existing building by a subterranean walkway.
The arrangement of the two-story structure reflects the linear assembly process of the supercars on the production line: components are delivered; the cars are assembled, painted and tested, and then pass through a rolling road and car wash, before leaving the building.
To create a flexible work space the centre is based on a 18 x 18 metre structural module and places service runs in trenches below the floor and in the risers, ceilings and perimeter wall cavities .
Beneath the production floor there is a full basement level for storage and plant, and above is a mezzanine floor with views over the production line.
- Begun: Apr 2010
- Completed: Nov 2011
- Floor area: 34,500m2
- Sector: Industrial
- Procurement: Design and Build
- Address: Chertsey Road, Woking, GU21 4YH, United Kingdom
- Architect: Foster + Partners
- Client: McLaren Group
- Structural engineer: Buro Happold
- MEP consultant: PHA Consult
- M&E consultant: Spie Matthew Hall
- Quantity surveyor: Gardiner & Theobald
- Landscape architect: Terence O’Rourke
- Environmental consultant: PHA Consult
- CDM coordinator: Buro Happold
- Main contractor: Sir Robert McAlpine
- Project manager: Mclaren