Bournemouth Central Library
A mixed-use building, with triple height foyer, comprising a library space above retail facilities
Four key aims drove the design: to encourage the public into the library, to inspire users, to optimise working practices and to create a vibrant economic hub.
The library features a fully glazed north-facing elevation, allowing views to, and from, the street and a direct connection with the outside world.
Other features include a triple-height foyer, an information/issue desk overlooking the entire library and a sweeping ‘horseshoe’ layout on the first floor, housing a reference library, gallery and staff offices.
- Begun: Sep 2000
- Completed: Jun 2002
- Floor area: 8,650m2
- Sectors: Arts and culture, Education, Civic
- Funding: PFI Consortium
- Address: 22 The Triangle, Bournemouth, BH2 5RQ, United Kingdom
- Architect: BDP
- Project architects: Chris Harding, Keith Papa, Peter Taylor
- Client: Henry Jones (Kier Regional)
- Acoustic consultant: BDP Acoustics
- Structural engineer: Upton McGougan
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineer: IEI Building Services Engineers
- Quantity surveyor: Northcroft
- Facilities manager: Caxton FM