If you’ve activated your online subscription to the AJ or you already have an account for the AJ Buildings Library, sign in below.
By continuing to use the site you agree to our Privacy & Cookies policy
The AJ Buildings Library is available as a subscription benefit to AJ subscribers. If you’ve activated your online subscription on TheAJ.co.uk, you can use the same credentials to sign in on AJBL.
If you have not activated your subscription on the AJ website you will need to do so to access the AJ Buildings Library.
Not an Architects' Journal subscriber?
Choose one of these options:
Find out more about all the benefits of a subscription to The Architects' Journal.
For all queries regarding access to AJ online, please email our Online Help Desk at customerservices@ArchitectsJournal.co.uk
Bournemouth Central Library
- Begun: Sep 2000
- Completed: Jun 2002
- Floor area: 8,650m2
- Sectors: Arts and culture, Education, Civic
- Funding: PFI Consortium
- Address: 22 The Triangle, Bournemouth, BH2 5RQ, United Kingdom
- Architect: BDP
- Project architects: Chris Harding, Keith Papa, Peter Taylor
- Client: Henry Jones (Kier Regional)
- Acoustic consultant: BDP Acoustics
- Structural engineer: Upton McGougan
- Mechanical and Electrical Engineer: IEI Building Services Engineers
- Quantity surveyor: Northcroft
- Facilities manager: Caxton FM
A mixed-use building, with triple height foyer, comprising a library space above retail facilities
Four key aims drove the design: to encourage the public into the library, to inspire users, to optimise working practices and to create a vibrant economic hub.
The library features a fully glazed north-facing elevation, allowing views to, and from, the street and a direct connection with the outside world.
Other features include a triple-height foyer, an information/issue desk overlooking the entire library and a sweeping ‘horseshoe’ layout on the first floor, housing a reference library, gallery and staff offices.